Energy management support is one of Joule Consultants' key areas of business. Joule Consultants have experience of a wide range of industrial, commercial and retail organisations carrying out several hundred consultancy based projects for large and small clients.
Our consultant engineers are chartered members of mainstream engineering institutions. They are also Carbon Trust and CIBSE approved Low Carbon Consultants.
Much of our recent work has involved managing the Carbon Reduction Commitment for clients and implementing energy management programmes to ensure that Climate Change Levy obligations are met and milestone targets achieved. This work is complimented by our Environmental Management Expertise.
Joule Consultants can provide our clients with a full electrical and mechanical engineering consultancy service with the extra professional expertise only available within a truly multi-disciplinary environment.
We have at our disposal a number of highly qualified and experienced engineers who are fully conversant with project and contract management methods. We also have the ability to administer the tendering and procurement of electrical and mechanical projects.
All work is undertaken to current industry and Health & Safety Executive directives.
We can undertake feasibility studies and site surveys, develop project briefs, produce detailed designs, issue tender invitations and undertake all site supervision. We can incorporate into our designs any specific client requirements. Our range of services include:
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems
- LPHW / HPHW / Steam systems - Design of boilerhouses and distribution systems.
- Decentralisation schemes
- Piped services including internal and external services
- Electrical installations including power engineering, lighting design, lightning protection systems etc
- Fire protection and alarm systems including sprinkler and mist installations
- Structured IT cabling, communication systems and security systems
- Swimming pool water treatment installations
The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) 2007, requires Display Energy Certificates (DEC) to be in place for all public buildings over 1,000m2 by 1 October 2008.
Under this legislation the occupier of the building must:
- Display a valid DEC in a prominent place clearly visible to the public at all times.
- Have in their possession or control a valid Advisory Report.
- DECs must be renewed each and every year.
- Advisory Reports must be renewed every seven years.
- DECs must be issued by a qualified and accredited assessor.
- DECs must be lodged with the appropriate government register.
- All the data utilised must have an accurate auditable trail.
- Sites that do not perform will be penalised under the forthcoming Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC).
Joule Consultants have CIBSE Accredited engineers capable of supporting your organisation to meet your DEC obligations.
In England and Wales, the Energy Performance (Certificates and Inspections) Regulations 2007 (Articles 7-9) require inspection of all air conditioning systems with an installed cooling capacity of greater than 12kW to be inspected at intervals of no greater than 5 years. For systems over 250kW, the reviews should be complete by January 2009 with the remaining systems over 12kW by January 2011.
The CIBSE publication states "Inspection of Air Conditioning Systems" (TM44) has been accepted as approved guidance for the format and content of these reports. Inspections should be carried out by 'approved' inspectors.
Joule Consultants are CIBSE approved inspectors of Complex Air Conditioning systems.
Utility Purchasing and Cost Management Services
Joule Consultants have an extensive knowledge of current utility markets and the impact of recent changes such as the New Electricity Trading Arrangements (NETA) and the Climate Change Levy (CCL). Our scope of service includes the following utility management services:
- Negotiation of optimum supply rates.
- Ensuring that a client makes use of the most appropriate tariff structure where relevant.
- Bill verification to ensure clients are being correctly charged under the existing tariff structure.
- Negotiation of rebates due to supplier anomalies.
- Ongoing monitoring of supplier invoices to prevent overcharging.
- Ensuring clients are informed of relevant market changes.
- Submission and tax reconciliation of annual CCL tax returns.
The above work can either be undertaken for a fee or on a share of saving basis.
The Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) is a new mandatory emissions trading scheme that aims to improve energy efficiency and reduce the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted in the UK.
CRC will affect large organisations in both the public and private sector.
An organisation qualifies as a full participant in CRC if, during the qualification period:
- It has at least one half hourly meter (HHM) settled on the half hourly market.
- The annual electricity consumption through all HHMs was at least 6,000 MWh.
For administration purposes, the scheme is divided into set time periods known as phases. The first phase is the introductory phase and runs for three years. Subsequent phases each last for seven years.
We can offer a bespoke level of support to match your requirements from full CRC management to preparation of your Evidence Pack and Annual and Footprint Reports.
We can offer the following advantages over our competitors:
- Very competitive fees for CRC management and fast turnaround to meet reporting requirements.
- High quality service and a good track record of managing CRC and Climate Change Levy Agreements for commercial and industrial clients.
- Individual Consultants who are Chartered Engineers with over 15 year experience.
- Added value comprehensive engineering experience which can identify savings and help meet reduction targets and reduce your Carbon Footprint.
From 1st April 2001 business started to pay the Climate Change Levy, this is a new energy tax which has added about 15% to 20% to a typical energy bill. Many intensive users of energy have entered into Climate Change Agreements (CCA's) to mitigate the effects of this tax. Under these agreements, businesses that accept and subsequently meet energy saving targets will receive an 80% Levy discount until the year 2013.
To obtain this discount, the Company must meet various criteria laid down by the DEFRA and submit applications for levy rebate through a relevant trade association. In many cases only part of a factory or plant is eligible for rebate (e.g. an in-house metal treatment facility etc). In this case only a proportion of the energy consumption is eligible for rebate.
Check your company's eligibility
Click here if you require support to meet your obligations
Do you need to purchase carbon to meet your CCL target? Contact Us.
On agreement of the rebate Joule Consultants can provide support, training and engineering assistance to ensure you meet DEFRA's qualitative requirements and retain the rebate. We can provide support on an "ad hoc" basis or you can retain us for a monthly fee. For further information e-mail us.
Government assistance in the form of 'free' energy surveys may be available through the governments Carbon Trust Programme.
Our design services include:
- Support for small energy management projects
- Small-scale surveying and bespoke design
- Service design for large installations
- In-house CAD
Joule Consultants' restoration expertise has been involved in over 50 projects in the last 3 years. Some examples of what we can offer are:
- Investigation of system failures
- Identication of remedial or restorative potential in the system
- Design calculations
- Analyses of existing systems to discover pragmatic solutions
We can help your company make huge energy cost reductions by replacing, adding and improving energy and thermal management strategies.
- Energy consumption benchmarking and analysis
- Project design and definition
- Project implementation
- Surveying benchmarking and analysis
- Project design and definition
- Project implementation
A selection of the latest projects undertaken by Joule Constultants Ltd.
Maximising cooler efficiency.
Zero downtime system replacement.
Large industrial facility.
Analysing an expanding facility.
Minimising cost by increasing efficiency.
Using Solar PV to solve land development challenges.
Saving time, saving money.
An alternative to replacement